In a land far, far away and a time not that long ago, I studied art in school. Something that came easily to me was the understanding of a vantage point in visual art. A vantage point basically keeps everything in the right perspective, like if you’re drawing a city or a donkey or just anything.
Similarly, the way we view God our Father is absolutely critical because it puts everything else in perspective. Obviously if our vantage point (God) is wrong, then our perspective will be wrong. I was raised in a “hell, fire, and brimstone” sort of church, and while I love those folks dearly, it shaped my worldview to perceive God as angry and waiting to punish me! It shaped so much of my life until I gathered a correct perspective of our God.
Good grief, He loves us with an unreasonable love.
Check out these verses and let them give you a correct perspective of God.
- “God [is] SLOW to get angry and HUGE in loyal love.” Numbers 14:18
- “If your heart is broken, you’ll find God right there.” Psalm 34:18
- “God is LOVE.” 1 John 4:8
- “The Lord is trustworthy in all He promises.” Psalm 145:13
- “He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love.” Deuteronomy 7:9
- “He provides you with PLENTY of food and fills your hearts with joy.” Acts 14:17
- “For God is sheer beauty, all-generous in love, loyal always and ever.” Psalm 100:5 (Love this!!)
- “Our Father is kind.” Luke 6:36
- “He forgives your sins — every one.” Psalm 103:3
- “You wisely and tenderly lead me, and then you bless me.” Psalm 73:24 (Boom.)
- “He’s not remote; He’s near.” Acts 17:27
- “Your arms are HEAPED with goodness-in-action.” Psalm 48:10
- “God, a God of mercy and grace, endlessly patient–so much love, so deeply true–loyal in love for a thousand generations.” Exodus 34:6-7