The truth is that everyone sins and has specific “sin patterns” that we lean toward. Maybe some of us struggle with pride, or maybe we take offense easily. Maybe we entertain thoughts of lust, or maybe we live in a spirit of fear and overall negative thinking. Maybe we dishonor our parents with our words and actions, or maybe we have an addiction to something – anything – other than Christ.
- Get yourself into the Word! Even the devil knows that a supernatural shift happens when you ingest Scripture. And take it a step further – talk to yourself constantly with verses that will help you overcome and stay that way. Christians should be reflecting on Scripture day and night (Psalm 119:97).
- Pray. Sometimes we forget that God wants us to win in life! If we ask for perseverance, strength, and disgust toward sin, He will give it to us (1 John 5:14-15).
- Confess your sin to a trusted friend (James 5:16). This is consistently ignored (out of our absolutely foolish pride) because we have bought the enemy’s lie that says we will be humiliated or shamed. On the contrary, Heaven knows that confession leads to healing and freedom. A godly friend will keep you accountable and encourage you!
- Carefully guard what enters your thoughts, and be intentional about which thoughts you entertain. The Bible is clear that all transformation starts first in our MINDS (Romans 12:2)!
- Gain perspective. See the bigger picture! We have an enemy who is bloodthirsty for us… he will use whatever tactic he can to pin down God’s people and thus deliver a blow to the Kingdom of Light (Ephesians 6:12). Don’t give him a foothold!